Digital Bearing Compass 3.0
This app will always show you the right direction...an app not only for pilots...
Are you a pilot, sailor or an outdoor adventurer ? Then the Digital Bearing Compass augmented reality (AR) app will be a valuable tool for you. Aim at objects in sight and directly read the true and magnetic bearing. Then you can check your bearings on the map. In addition, the current position, including the altitude above sea level is displayed.
After the first bearing, Digital Bearing Compass continuously displays the vertical and horizontal angles between the object and the current direction of the aiming point. So you can measure the angle between 2 points or objects ... if you are a sailor or yachtsman, you know what you can do with this information. You can use them directly for navigation, since this corresponds to the functionality of a sextant. You can also use trigonometry to determine the size of a distant object. Additionally you can get a second bearing and thus apply the method of cross bearing directly. The bearings are automatically saved, so they will be available when you start the app the next time.
Since version 2.0 you can also set a fix in map mode. Then the bearing to the fix and the distance to the fix is displayed continuously. In the camera view, the magnetic bearing to the fix, the distance to the fix and the difference between the actual direction of view and the direction to the fix is displayed. In the camera view is a red indicator displayed at the position of the fix, so it can be found more easily. This is the first real use of augmented reality technology in the app. Many more features like this will follow.
Since version 3.0 you can set a marker at you current location. This marker is also displayed in the camera view and the distance and bearing to this location is continuously computed and displayed. A very useful feature when you want to be sure you will find your car again, but also on a boat if somebody goes over board...just press this button and the place where this happened is saved. This increases the chances tremendously to find someone in open sea...but of course, never rely just on one app...it is an aid, but never the sole method to be relied on when lives are at stake. Of course, there are also many other situations where this function will come handy.
Benefits of the app:
- The App uses the high-tech sensors of your iPhone or iPad to measure orientation, device and declination (the angle between the direction to Geographic North and Magnetic North, pilots call it variation).
- Augmented reality (AR) technology is available since iOS 11. The app will also be continuously improved, further developed and equipped with new features.
- You can switch between camera mode and map mode.
- The angle between 2 points or objects can be measured.
- The position and direction of the bearings is drawn in the map.
- This way a cross bearing is possible.
- A fix can be set in the map view.
- The fix is shown on the map and direction and distance to the fix is computed and displayed continuously.
- In the camera view a red indicator is displayed at the position of the fix and the distance to the fix, the bearing to the fix and the difference between the actual direction of view and the direction to the fix are displayed.
- You can set a marker on your current location. This marker is also displayed in camera view and distance and location continuously computed and displayed.
- A 3D compass is displayed in the AR view.
- Choose from several text-colors for best day/ night readability.
- Choose from different coordinate formats.
- Choose from different units for altitude and distance.
No matter if you are a pilot, seal, scientist, astronomer, technician, geographer or outdoor athlete, you will find the app extremely valuable for your orientation and navigation. And it is fun.
Please note that some sensors require a time to calibrate. Sometimes it might be the case that after starting the app, for a few seconds a wrong direction will be displayed. The camera should be moved slowly back and forth in this case so that the device can perform the calibration.
The app needs several "Permissions". Permissions to use the GPS and the camera are required. No data will be sent from the app to the outside world.